For washing our clothes we all either depend on a Laundromat or invest in a washer and dryer at home. While Laundromats tend to become expensive in the long run, buying your own washer and dryer is a smart choice.
However when you install a washing machine, comes along with it a requirement for regular maintenance. The lint that gets accumulated in the dryer vent tends to clog the passage. A clogged dryer vent leads to many potential problems including a fire hazard, energy wastage, premature wear and tear of the washing machine, health hazards and much more.
A simple solution to this problem is cleaning dryer vent.
How often does one clean the dryer vent?
Ideally, the dryer vent must be cleaned at least a couple of times a year. But is hardly the case. But one must make an endeavor to at least have it cleaned once in a year. Or watch out for warning signs which signal immediate dryer vent cleaning services.
These signs include:
- Dryer taking extremely long to dry out clothes
- Clothes and machine feel extremely hot to touch
- A burning odor emanating from the machine etc.
Does one have to spend a fortune to clean dryer duct?
Not necessarily. Cleaning dryer vents is a relatively simple task that you can do by yourself. You might need to buy a DIY dryer duct cleaning kit. These kits contain various handles and brushes that are used to clean the dryer vents.
If the washing machine is too large or too heavy or if reaching the vent is practically impossible for you, you might need the help of professionals, other than that a DIY kit should suffice. If the dryer vent pipe is short, you can also clean it with your hands.
How does one clean the dryer vent?
- Emptying the lint screen: This is the first and commonest step. You empty the lint screen as usual. This way you can remove whatever small amount of lint that is stuck on the screen.
- Detach from plug point: Before you touch the dryer vent you first unplug the cord. Working on the dryer with the cord plugged on can be a very dangerous situation
- Shift the machine: The machine is usually set with the dryer vent facing behind. In order to clean it, you have to move the machine to face the dryer vent. If the machine is too heavy you might need assistance or hire professional help.
- Removing the tube: The dryer vent is usually attached to the dryer through a tube. You need to remove the tube. You can remove the tube using a screwdriver to unscrew the attachment.
- Clean the dryer vent: Now the dryer vent is open, you can clean it using a vacuum cleaner or you can also use some of the brushes and extendable You can remove out all the lint and debris stuck in the pipe and clear the airway for further use. Use a dry cloth to dry out any moisture or mold growth in it.
- Reassemble: Once you have cleaned the dryer vent you then reassemble the dryer vent with the tube using the screws, and shift the pipe back in place and realign the machine as well.
You can also hire a professional. Else, all the things you need for a clean dryer duct are:
- A selection of brushes
- Extendable handles
- Or a vacuum cleaner.
- A clean dry cloth.