There are so many people out there who are very sensitive to the outside environment and are allergic to many things. While it might seem good to stay indoors during this time to avoid allergies due to pollution and other things, it is essential to keep in mind that 1/4th of the allergies happen due to indoor pollutants. There are so many factors that contribute to this problem and the main area where the pollutants get stuck is the Air duct. That is why air vent cleaning on a regular basis is important to keep allergies at bay.
Air Ducts are Directly Responsible for Indoor Air Quality
When you peep into a shelf that is out of reach, you might find a lot of dust and dirt settled in the shelf. The same happens to the Air Ducts. The interiors of the air ducts are covered with the dust from the environment over a period of time. This might again be released into the air circulating inside the home causing allergy to allergy-prone people. Have you done home air duct cleaning recently? How often do you clean the ducts? All these questions need to be answered and taken care of, to protect ourselves from allergies and respiratory problems.
Some Duct Cleaning Tips for Those with Allergies
Do a Duct Inspection
The first step to duct cleaning is to do a duct inspection. If the ducts are leaky, then they might lead to accumulation of dirt. It also paves the way for rodents and insects to get inside the ducts. When all these happen, it is impossible to keep the ducts clean before sealing the leaks in the ducts. Good air duct cleaners will be able to inspect such kind of leaks and then after proper inspection, evaluate the severity. Then, vent cleaners help in sealing the leaks.
DIY Duct Sealing
Sometimes DIY skills are useful but in other cases where the work need to be done to the interior of the duct where it is not reachable by ordinary people, then it is best to take the help of vent cleaning service. Also, sealing materials used must be of good quality and must be able to seal the leaks properly. Note that the sealing part cannot be done with ordinary equipment.
Frequency of Air Duct Cleaning
The vent cleaning process might differ from home to home as each house is unique in its own way. If a home is a tightly sealed one, then the duct cleaning services are not required more often. But a home that is constructed in a busy area where the environment is more polluted, the frequency is more in air duct cleaning process. A good cleaning company can assist in creating a plan for periodic vent inspection and maintenance.
If you or your loved ones are suffering from allergies due to mold or dust, do not hesitate to call air duct cleaning companies. They will help you with proper planning, inspection, and equipment. Taking the help of air duct cleaning services helps to reduce the pollutants in air and thus, make you live your life healthily.
There are plenty of reasons why you should clean the air ducts in your home regularly. If the air ducts are clean, the heating or cooling system will be more effective, will have a longer life and the air that we breathe around the home will be much cleaner.
If you feel that you can take up the project of air duct cleaning in your home by yourself without incurring the cost of a professional air duct cleaning service, here are some tips on how you can go about the process of vent cleaning.
There are several types of duct systems – underground and attic systems, but the air duct cleaning process of all systems is the same. While you may not be able to access all the parts of the system, i.e. the underground ducts, you can make a significant difference in the quality of air around you by cleaning the components of the air duct system that you can reach properly.
Things required for air duct cleaning
- Vacuum cleaner
- Cleaning brush
- Paper towels and cloth
- Furnace filter
Vent cleaning process
- Cover all the supply air registers i.e. the openings that distribute air to the room with cloth or paper towels. This will help to keep the dust and dirt from getting into the rooms as you clean.
- When you are cleaning the air duct, make sure that the fan is turned on to keep the loose dust moving.
- Check if the furnace filter is in its place to prevent the dust dislodged due to cleaning being sucked into the fan motor.
- Tap the air duct with your cleaning brush to loosen any dust build-up or damp dust that may be stuck to the inner walls.
- Use your vacuum cleaner to remove the dust that is pushed out by the fan. Try and reach into the air duct as far as you can. Using the cleaning brush, scrape out any dust build-up in the register. Once the registers are clean, you can remove the cloth or paper towels that you used to protect them.
- Next, clean the return air registers that are usually fastened with a screw. Using a screwdriver, remove the screw and the register. Clean the register pipe or air duct as far as you can reach.
- Turn off the furnace and the fan.
- Once you turn off the power, remove the front panels of the furnace and using the vacuum cleaner, remove the dust from the return air boot and blower compartment. Also, clean the furnace fan.
- Replacing the furnace filter can help you reduce the dust in your home significantly since a dirty filter hampers the airflow to the fan and this can reduce the life of the motor. The replacement of the filter depends on the location of your home, pets, etc.
Main air duct cleaning
The areas in the air ducting system that you were unable to clean using the above steps are most likely to have less dirt and dust. Nevertheless, you can clean the external portions of the ductwork too.
- If your ductwork is rectangular, then you can remove the end caps for air vent cleaning on the outside. You can the reach the inside of the duct once the caps are removed with your vacuum pipe and remove any dirt or dust. You can check for any dust in the duct using a flashlight.
- Very often, the ductwork of your air system has registers all along the system to supply air to the basement. By removing these registers, you can clean the main trunk line better.
By following the above steps, you can successfully indulge in some home air duct cleaning all by yourself, without calling in the professional air duct cleaning services.